You Ask the Questions, We Provide the Answers
What are the benefits of hiring Chianelli Estimating?
- You only pay for us when you need us, and at reasonable rates!
- You won’t have to burden your company with the cost of paying for a full-time estimating service during downtime.
- We provide construction estimates nationwide, including the related regional pricing factors.
- Our company has been estimating projects since 1903. We have experience in commercial, municipal, governmental, industrial, historical, new residential, renovations and remodeling, design-build, and green building projects.
- The service we provide is an expense you can deduct on your tax returns just like any other subcontractor.
Why should I pay an hourly fee which is higher than our typical employee rate?
- As an outsource estimating service, we contract with you and offer a temporary service to assist you. Our hourly costs are higher short term but will save you money long term.
- Savings are realized in various areas: no downtime costs for carrying employees in slow cycles, no workman’s compensation expenses, no payroll taxes, no medical and retirement contributions, no vacation pay, no sick or holiday payments. When these expenses are factored in, it is easy to see that you are saving money by contracting our company for your estimating needs.
Once we retain your estimating service for a particular project, will you contract with another company for the same project? Do you maintain client confidentiality?
- We guarantee to work only for the company that enters into an agreement with us for a particular project on a first come first serve basis.
- Integrity, honesty, and ethics are paramount to us. We maintain estimator-client privilege because our livelihood and the success of our business depend upon it.
Should I solicit bids from my usual vendors, subs, etc., and forward them to you?
- Yes, we strongly encourage it. If your company receives proposals from vendors (i.e. materials, subcontractors, equipment, etc.), please forward them to our company. This will assist in the estimating process, expediting the process, and giving you the comfort of using your own vendors and subs.
- If desired, we are also capable of attaining vendors from your local area for necessary proposals for the estimate.
How will my company discuss and understand the logic used to arrive at the estimated amount?
- That’s easy; communication! We work with you as a team.
- When Chianelli Estimating completes your construction estimate, we discuss the worksheets with you and can schedule an online meeting to review the estimate together, line by line. This is an excellent opportunity to discuss the estimate logic regarding the take-off. In this meeting we can go over the estimate items; any questions or modifications can be made then or by you once you receive the report worksheets.
- We must receive payment in full before releasing the construction estimating reports. Our invoice will include a time allowance for the review.
When and how do I receive the completed estimate?
- Upon the clearing of payment in full, we send out our complete package in PDF format via email or fax.
Can you give me an estimated cost quote before we sign a contract?
- Yes. The cost of our service depends entirely on the project size and type. To provide you with a price quote, we must see your plans and specifications. We will then analyze the project documents and provide you with a proposal and anticipated time frame on how long it will take to complete. We will provide you with an estimated time proposal within hours or the next day.
- Depending on the type of estimate, we offer an hourly rate, or “not to exceed” quote.
How do I pay for your construction estimating services?
- When you decide to use our estimating service, we send a contract. A retainer is also required before we begin the project. Once the estimate is complete, and before final review, it’s required that the final invoice be paid in full.
After the online review, how will I receive my estimate, and when?
- After payment has been made and funds cleared, we will forward our reports in PDF format via email. We have a variety of cost reports. Please review samples for more detail.
How is the time spent on the estimate tracked?
- Each day, we keep a worksheet on the time spent on your estimate. Upon request, we will email you the time spent working on your project. Any questions should be addressed in writing immediately. This eliminates questions for charged hours on the final invoice.
Are you responsible for your estimate? What guarantees do I get? Do you carry liability or error and omissions insurance?
- We have experienced estimators with an exceptional wealth of knowledge reinforced by years of building in the field. We are unable to provide you with 100% guarantees or warranties on any project estimates.
- The estimating services and report data we provide are for cross-checking only and using the report is at the sole discretion of the client. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee you will be the lowest bidder on your project. We are also unable to guarantee that you will generate a profit.
- After discussing or reviewing the estimate with you via our online meeting, any adjustments can be made then or by you when the estimate arrives at your office. Our company cannot be held responsible for any errors, omissions, or changes made to your bid proposal. The reports are for cross-checking only and are used to assist you with your estimating and bidding process.
- We do not carry liability or error and omission insurance.
How do I get the project documents to you and can I send you electronic or digital files?
- We receive project documents in many formats: via USPS, overnight and digital files.
- We work with digital files in these formats: TIF, PDF, DWG, CAD.
- We can have your plans scanned into digital files if you don’t have them in that format.
How are your construction estimates made and what software is used?
- It depends on the type of project and how we need to address its requirements. We prefer to use the software that we feel will give us the best take-off criteria for that particular project.
- Primarily, we estimate using Sage Timberline Precision Extended, which is recognized as one of the nation’s leading estimating programs. Since 1995, we have used Timberline for most of our construction estimating purposes and have continued to grow our own estimating database daily for a variety of projects and disciplines.
- On other projects, we may use R.S. Means with their related databases or at times we use Excel to develop an estimate.
How long will the turnaround time be for an estimate?
- It depends on many factors. What type of estimate is required? Is all the information provided? What about the level of document complexity and the details required? These are the keys to a shorter and more accurate estimate turnaround time. Within a few hours, we can give you a clearer approximation of the turn-around time once we see the project documents.
Who do you usually provide construction estimating services for?
- General contractors
- Property owners
How do you estimate material or labor costs in other places of the country?
- Material pricing and labor rates are adjusted regional using R.S. Means database standards. The client must then confirm pricing for all items. Generally, there are very few cost variations for materials throughout the U.S. Of course, there are always exceptions to this.
Can you just do separate divisions?
- Yes. Depending on your requirements, our construction estimators can generate the entire project or can perform a separate estimate on any division, 1 through 13. Budget pricing will be issued for divisions 14 through 16.
What termination clauses are in your consulting contract?
- Either party can cancel the contract with 24 hours’ notice to the other entity as defined in the agreement.